the Saturday, July 2

Popsicle Stick Jokes and War of the Worlds

So Friday was popsicle stick day at work and the kids all asked us to read their jokes and they were so bad. Some of the best were:

Q: What is the name of the vampire who lives in the kitchen?
A: Spatulla! (I guessed Mrs. Draculla)

Q: What time is it when you run out of ice cream?
A: Time to get more ice cream (Lame!)

According to Frida, her joke was:
Q: Why did the car never told a joke?
A: Because it never hit itself!

That one reminds me of an old classic:
Q: What's the difference between an orange?
A: The more you rub it it gets!

And this one was on bloody 1/2 the kids' damn sticks:
Q: What do whales put on their toast?
A: Jellyfish!

Haha, and one of the kids asked me what her joke said and this other kid yells to her "Nothin'!" I thought that was mean.

Oh yeah, so I also saw War of the Worlds. This movie was really really good. I think you have to know the story before you watch it. *Spoiler* So you know that aliens attack and slaughter us and we're not doing so hot. There are no heros (including Tom Cruise) and in the end, the monsters die of diseases on Earth which they have never before been introduced. */Spoiler* Knowing that, the movie doesn't end as abruptly for you if you don't know the story. It is probably the most intense movie I have ever seen. Spielberg is a wizard at creating this incredible action through sound (explosions, screams, interesting sci-fi sounds), visuals (things happening to cars, buildings, the landscape, people), and his characters (their fear, their struggle, etc.) It was quite amazing. I also enjoyed it because it is not Hollywood with exception to the action being cool. Cruise is no hero. The human race is no hero. There is little military action on screen. You never see any president or generals or anything. Just people. I recommend this for anyone.

Interestingly, this movie contains what I am sure will become one of my favorite scenes in film. (Currently this list consists of Jim's killing spree in 28 Days Later. This scene was beautifully orchestrated and revealed a lot about people, in my opinion.) I won't spoil anything for you who haven't seen it, but I will tell you it is the last scene where Tom Cruise has the car. K, bye all.

Labels: ,