the Wednesday, January 4

The First BluRay Burner... and the Future

Holy Moley. Pioneer announced its first Blu-Ray Burner. It will write single-layer BD-R (BluRay Disc Recordable) and BD-RE (BluRay Disc REwritable) at 1x, read BD-R/E/ROM at 2x. It also writes DVDs, let's assume it does for DVD±R/W at 16x, and reads DVD±R/W/ROM at 16x. It doesn't do CDs though at all. Maybe it will in the future. And since burners merged the DVD-R and DVD+R camps into DVD±R, I imagine we'll soon be seeing:

BD-R/E / HD-R/E / DVD±R/W / CD-R/W drives.

I'm excited. How the hell are they gonna market that?

UPDATE: So I was looking on Dell today. They recommended this item:

SONY CORPORATION
DRX-810UL 8X DVD±R DL / 16X/6X/16X DVD-RW / 16X/8X/16X DVD+RW / 48X/32X/40X CD-RW External USB/i.LINK FireWire Double Layer Combo Drive

Way to stay friendly Dell. hehe.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope they don't split the media again into BD+R and BD-R. Since Sony controls it all, I would imagine that wouldn't happen, because Sony is always concerned with what's best for its customers. I still need a freakin' dual layer DVD burner! Also, lack of CD support is weak sauce, but I guess everyone will be cool with having two optical drives...IN THE FUTURE!

11:43 AM  

What are you thinking?

<< Home